September 27th, 2016

Family and pets rescued from blaze

Family and pets rescued from blaze Family and pets rescued from blaze
Updated: 4:41 pm, May 20, 2015

A FAMILY and their beloved pets had to be rescued from a blaze at a Batchley home.

Firefighters were called to the house on Foxlydiate Crescent at 1.37am today (Wednesday) after a dishwasher which had been set on a timer burst into flames.

The young son raised the alarm after waking up and smelling smoke.

The family of four then escaped by climbing out of a bedroom window and onto the roof of their porch after plumes of smoke stopped them from using the stairs.

A total of three crews went to the address and used a ladder to rescue the family  and their cat and dog.

They then tackled the flames wearing breathing apparatus and a hose reel.

Two adults and two children were taken to hospital as a precaution due to smoke inhalation.

Group commander George Marshall said the property did not have smoke alarms but luckily the kitchen door was shut which prevented the fire from spreading.

He added: “A smoke alarm provides an early warning and will give you more time to escape so we urge people to fit a working smoke alarm on every level of their home and ensure they are tested on a weekly basis.

“The kitchen door being shut contained the fire and stopped it from seriously spreading. Please ensure that before you go to bed that you shut your doors, turn off your appliances and have that all important escape plan.”

Visit www.hwfire.org.uk for more information on fire safety.

Comments