A WARNING has gone out about fires starting because of dry land after two blazes in Redditch on Monday (May 9).
The first took place at 12.14pm in Ipsley Church Lane when 5sq metres of hay was alight.
A crew from Redditch attended and firefighters extinguished the blaze using pitch forks and back packs.
The second was at 7.02pm in Cedar View where a line of conifers were well alight when the Redditch crew arrived.
A hose was used on that occasion to put out the fire.
Following the incidents, Station Commander Alan Haley said there was a real danger posed by dry ground which could lead to fires starting and he issued advice to people in a bid to prevent future blazes.
He urged people to ensure cigarettes were extinguished properly and not thrown on the ground or out of car windows.
He added open fires should not be started in the countryside and bottles or glass should not be discarded in woodland as sunlight shining through them could start fires.
And he said people should only use barbecues in suitable and safe areas.
He concluded by urging people who saw a fire in the countryside to call the fire service immediately and not to tackle blazes that could not be put out with just a bucket of water.