September 22nd, 2016

Hair stylers caused bedroom blaze

Updated: 10:06 am, May 07, 2015

THIS was the devastation caused by a pair of hair stylers after a fire broke out at a couple’s home near Alcester.

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to the house on Mill Lane in Oversley Green about 2.45pm on Saturday (January 3). Crews arrived to find the first floor bedroom on fire and although it was relatively small and quickly extinguished, firefighters remained at the scene to minimise smoke damage.

It is believe the fire was caused by a heated hair brush being left on or possibly due to an electrical fault.

Fire chiefs are now warning users of heated hair stylers, which can reach temperatures of 190 degrees Celsius and above, to take extra care with them and ensure they have a fire escape plan in place in the event of an emergency.

Ken Probin, station commander at Alcester Fire Station, said: “This incident highlights just how important it is to ensure electrical items such as heated hair stylers are switched off and unplugged after use. The residents living in this property were lucky as the fire happened during the day. Had it been during the night, we may well have been looking at a far worse scenario as the residents did not have working smoke alarms and no night time escape plan.”

Coun Les Caborn, responsible for community safety on Warwickshire County Council, added: “This incident is worrying as many residents won’t be aware of the potential dangers that small electrical items can pose. I am glad to hear the residents managed to escape the fire unhurt, but I hope that other residents learn that working smoke alarms are vital to ensure you get the early warning you need, should you have a fire in your home.”

Comments