September 25th, 2016

Redditch blazes caused by cooking

Redditch blazes caused by cooking Redditch blazes caused by cooking
Updated: 10:51 am, Jul 08, 2016

FIREFIGHTERS have been called to three blazes within 24 hours on Tuesday caused by people leaving cooking unattended.

The Fire Service has now released advice to residents following the incidents which included a fire in Redditch at 9.22am, in Laurel Close, Mayfields.

The blaze was deemed an accident and fire officials believe it started in the cooker when the resident got distracted and left it unattended.

Station Commander Alan Haley said: “Half of all accidental fires start in the kitchen so we urge people to take extra care when cooking.

This month is also Fire Kills cooking safety month, which is a timely reminder to stay safe in the kitchen.

He added: “Never leave the kitchen whilst cooking and if a pan does catch fire, don’t try to tackle it. Get out, stay out and call 999. It’s also a good idea to take care with electrics and ensure that appliances are away from curtains, tea towels and kitchen rolls.”

Comments