FIGURES released by West Mercia Police show there have been eight serious car crashes and 35 minor injury collisions during the Government’s Coronavirus lockdown.
The total – recorded between March 24 and April 20 – is much less than last year because there are fewer vehicles on the road but police say some drivers are exploiting the area’s empty roads and going far too fast.
Last year over the same period there were five fatal crashes, 35 serious crashes and 143 minor injury collisions.
Traffic Chief Superintendent Paul Moxley said it was important there had been no fatal crashes during lockdown, adding the force was committed to policing the roads and ensuring everyone on them were kept safe.
Despite the figures showing the majority of people staying at home and driving sensibly when on essential journeys, a minority were ‘taking advantage of quieter roads and travelling at excessive speeds’ he said.
“We are targeting these individuals and will take appropriate action to identify and deal with those motorists who are putting themselves and others at risk.
“Exceeding the speed limit can have fatal consequences for the driver, passengers and others on the road.
“Our NHS colleagues are already under extreme pressure and therefore it is even more important than ever to collectively work towards reducing the necessity to call upon the NHS – driving safely and within the speed limit is critical to that aim.
“We can all play our part over the coming months by taking extra care on every journey and avoiding unnecessary risks.”