A QUICK-THINKING taxi driver and a passing nurse helped save the life of a young Redditch boy who was choking on two mints.
Harry Fisher, aged five, was travelling with his mum Melissa Addison in a taxi on Monday when he tapped her on the leg to let her know that he couldn’t breathe.
Melissa had given Harry two mints to mask the smell of his face covering, but didn’t realise that he had accidentally lodged the sweets in his throat.
The pair were being driven to Harry’s school by Time Taxis driver Ish Mo, who immediately stopped the car after realsing Harry was in trouble.
Ish said: “I pulled over by the Co-op on Evesham Road at around 8.20am, got out the car and began smacking Harry on his back.
“He was starting to turn blue in the face but after doing the Heimlich manoeuvre and a couple of blows he managed to swallow the first mint.”
A passing nurse, Fiona Harrison, ran over after realising Harry was still was choking.
Heavily pregnant Melissa said: “She got out of her car and started whacking Harry on his back which managed to dislodge the second sweet.
“I can’t thank them both enough, it was the most scared I’ve ever been in my life as I nearly lost my son.
“If it wasn’t for them my son would probably not be here now and I cannot put into words how grateful I am for these two amazing people who saved my boy.
“It was my biggest mistake and I will learn from it.”
Due to the incident Harry, who was shielding, missed his first day back at school. But he is now feeling much better following the scary incident.
Ish, who co-owns Time Taxis with his brother, told the Standard that his family are proud of how he handled the situation.