SPECIAL opening hours for elderly and vulnerable residents, as well as NHS staff and social care workers, have been put in place by most major supermarket chains.
It comes amid mass panic buying during the coronavirus pandemic which has left some stores stripped of goods.
We have contacted all local stores to find out their individual priority times which you can see below:
- Tesco Extra (Open Monday-Saturday 8am-10pm, Sunday 10am-4pm)
Priority time for NHS staff has been allocated for Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays between 9am-10am.
On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays elderly and vulnerable customers will be given priority at the same time.
- Morrisons (Open Monday-Saturday 8am-8pm, Sunday 10am-4pm)
NHS staff will be given early access Monday to Saturday between 7am-8am and between 9am-10am on Sundays.
The store said it did not have specific hours for the elderly and vulnerable.
- Sainsbury’s (Open Monday-Saturday 8am-8pm, Sunday 10am-4pm)
NHS ID holders have priority Monday to Saturday between 7.30am and 8am.
Elderly customers, carers and disabled customers have priority Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 8am-9am.
Elderly residents are also being prioritised for online shopping.
- Aldi (Open Monday-Saturday 8am-8pm, Sunday 10am-4pm) The discount supermarket is open on Sundays between 8.30am-9.30am solely for key workers in the NHS, police and fire service.
- Asda (Open Monday-Saturday 8am-8pm, Sunday 10am-4pm)
Priority access will be given to NHS workers in larger stores every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8am to 9am.
However the supermarket giant said there is no allocated time for elderly customers.
- Iceland (Open Monday-Saturday 9am-6pm, Sunday 10am-4pm)
NHS staff will be able to shop freely between 5pm and 6pm each day.
Elderly and vulnerable customers between 9-10am.
- Lidl (Open Monday to Saturday 8am-10pm, Sunday 10am-4pm) The German discount store does not have any priority times in place.
- Co-op (times vary for each store) The first hour for each store will prioritise the elderly, those at risk and their carers.