Standing up for the 85 per cent - Redditch focuses on mental health - The Redditch Standard

Standing up for the 85 per cent - Redditch focuses on mental health

Redditch Editorial 14th May, 2019   0

“IT’S about being confident with who you are” – that’s the message from Rosie Palmer as Mental Health Awareness Week gets underway in Redditch.

This year the focus is on body image and how it can affect people’s mental health.

“There are people will not go out to work because of their image or they cannot find the clothes they want to make them feel good about themselves,” added Rosie, of Mental Health Action Group Redditch.

“Figures show that you can go out to talk to 100 people about 80 per cent will say they are body conscious and if you break it down again into those who have it permanently in mind, it comes out at 50 per cent – and that’s half the population.

“Then you also have issues surrounding disability and this also transcends race, creed and colour.”

Rosie also took a swipe at the glamour magazine that project the ‘ideal’ image.

“The magazine try to promote what they consider to be ‘the accepted norm’,” she said.

“Yet statistics show that accepted norm is only about 15 per cent of people – what about the other 85 per cent who are not ‘fit and fabulous’?”

MHAG is a signposting organisation that can help people suffering mental health issues to find the help they need, for instance through groups like Time to Change and Mind Springfield.

MHAG also has a stand in the Kingfisher Shopping Centre this week promoting their services and dealing with body image.

It’s in Walford Walk from 11am to 3pm, last day is this Thursday, May 16.

LANEY Walsh of MHAG and Time to Chance has been volunteering for six years and became involved after her own experience of mental health left her deeply aware of the lack of support on offer, writes Elliot Ball.

She has says she has seen a drastic increase in people seeking support for mental health.

“Earlier today, I had only my second one-to-one session with a lady who has already told me it’s the best thing she’s ever done,” said she said.

“It’s important that we can offer these free sessions to people who simply cannot afford to get the help they need.”

Laney and the team offer services for people of any age or gender and offer support ranging from life limiting mental illnesses to exam stress.

Support groups for women are run every Monday at 7pm from Batchley Support Group Centre.

Male support groups are available on Wednesday evenings at Redditch United Football Club.

There is no need to book your place, just turn up.

To get in contact with Laney visit Time to Change on Facebook or call them on 01527 457291.


Now, every week, you can also listen to a roundup of Redditch Standard Local News.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.