Kings return to action in fine style - The Redditch Standard

Kings return to action in fine style

Redditch Editorial 2nd Feb, 2015 Updated: 18th Oct, 2016   0

Kings Norton 31 Stoke Old Boys 5

Midlands Four West (South)

HAVING not played since January 17, Kings were raring to go on Saturday against their Coventry visitors and produced a performance full of enthusiasm as they defeated a side who had run them close in October.

Although Stoke put up a strong resistance throughout this entertaining match, Kings dominated the game and, but for the Old Boys’ second half determination to keep the score down, could have added more points to their five-try tally as they consolidated fourth place in the league.

Kings opened strongly from the kick-off and their forward-dominated attack forced Stoke to defend their line for a ten-minute spell.

After one forward drive the ball was quickly recycled along the Kings’ back line to reach winger Mike Smaylen whose unstoppable race to the right-hand corner ended with a touchdown.

Stoke regrouped and attacked the home side, who conceded a penalty for illegally handling in a ruck, but the visitors’ long range attempt was wide of the mark.

From the restart Rob McGhee rumbled his way on a 50m run through tackle after tackle before handing the ball to Will Greenwood, who made more ground but a deserved score was thwarted as Stoke’s defence held him up over the line.

Kings continued to apply pressure and another excellent three-quarter move saw Alex Stylianou finish in style before captain Shane Rees converted.

Kings continued to apply pressure and, after a series of penalties, the ball again went along the line where Stylianou popped up to get on the end of a great move to cross for his second try, although Rees’ conversion attempt flew narrowly wide of the posts and the hosts led 17-0 at the break.

From the restart a fired-up Kings went for the four-try bonus point and, after a ten-minute period of desperate Stoke defending against Kings’ powerful forward attacks, Kings were rewarded when Stoke finally conceded a penalty try after which Rees added the extras.

Stoke’s determination to get themselves into this game then caused Kings problems and for a 20-minute spell the visitors created some good moves, making inroads towards Kings’ territory and, when Kings’ fast men Ben and Jack Manners counter-attacked on either wing, they were thwarted by last-ditch tackles.

However, Kings stood firm and, as their forwards worked their way upfield, the ball was released to Kris Fenn who crashed through for a try between the posts again converted by Rees to increase the lead to 31 points.

Finally, after a strong period by the visitors, they were rewarded with a forwards try in the left-corner on the stroke of full time.

Due to the retirement of Warwickian from the league, Kings are now without a league fixture until they face Atherstone at Hopwood Park on February 21.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Redditch Standard.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Redditch Standard.