FOOTBALL - Redditch United held at Needham Market - The Redditch Standard

FOOTBALL - Redditch United held at Needham Market

Redditch Editorial 11th Oct, 2021   0

REDDITCH United saw their winless run extended to five matches after being held to a 1-1 draw at Needham Market on Saturday – despite Curtis Hutson’s second-half strike.


Sweeney fired Redditch into the lead on 67 minutes only for Needham to restore parity in the 78th minute through Ben Fowkes leveller.


The result means Redditch sit in 12th place in the Southern League Premier Division Central table ahead of a tough clash with Hednesford Town this weekend.


United created the first chance of the game when Luke Rowe’s corner found Ryan Wollacott’s head which forced Needham keeper Marcus Garnham to make a routine save.


However, the home side responded when Emmanuel Machaya shot at the near post was parried away by Redditch goalkeeper Kieran Boucher.


The Reds spurned a golden chance to take the lead when Dan Sweeney’s flick-on went through to Tiago Nassunculo who looped a header over his marker before being denied when one-on-one with Garnham.


It was then Sweeney’s turn to be denied when he burst through before seeing his powerful effort tipped over the bar by Garnham.


After a period of Redditch pressure, Needham almost found the breakthrough when Luke Ingram took the ball past Boucher before blazing an effort over the crossbar from a tight angle.


And the hosts knocked on the door again moments later when Machaya’s cross-shot was cleared off the line by a desperate United defence before Ben Fowkes shot narrowly wide just before half-time.


The home team picked up where they left off at the beginning of the second-half when Callum Page collected a through ball before driving into the box and firing a low effort past Boucher only for Asa Charlton to clear the ball to safety.


The Reds then scored the game’s opening goal in the 67th minute when Sweeney’s driven free-kick underneath the wall was parried into the path of Hutson who created quickest to turn the loose ball home.


However, Needham responded on 78 minutes when Boucher did brilliantly to keep out Thomas Fitzgerald’s low shot but could not prevent Fowkes from turning home the rebound.


Redditch almost found a winner in the final few minutes when Hutson was denied by another fine Garnham save but United were unable to land a decisive blow as their wait for a league win continues.


The Reds are back in action tonight, Monday, October 11 when they host Nuneaton Borough at the Trico Stadium in the Southern League Cup with kick-off at 7:45pm.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Redditch Standard.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Redditch Standard newspaper.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.