FOOTBALL - Reds winless run extended after Nuneaton defeat - The Redditch Standard

FOOTBALL - Reds winless run extended after Nuneaton defeat

Redditch Editorial 25th Oct, 2021 Updated: 26th Oct, 2021   0

REDDITCH United’s winless run in the Southern League Premier Central was extended to seven matches after they suffered a 3-1 defeat to Nuneaton Borough at the Trico Stadium last weekend.


Despite Dennis Digie pulling a goal back for the Reds in the second period – first-half efforts from Nuneaton pair Ryan Edmunds and Carl Baker would prove decisive.


And although Borough defender Liam Daly was sent off late on – Danny King netted a last gasp strike to condemn Redditch to a disappointing defeat at the Trico Stadium.


The result leaves the Reds in 14th place in the Southern League Premier Central table having last tasted success in the league back in September.


After a couple of early chances fell United’s way – it was Nuneaton who took the lead in the 11th minute when Baker’s effort cannoned back off the crossbar and into the path of Edmunds who rifled home the rebound.


And Borough would double their lead on 29 minutes when Daly’s cross to the back post was headed home by Baker in a dominant first-half display from the visitors.


Nuneaton should have been three goals ahead at the break only for Baker to somehow fire over from seven yards out with the goal at his mercy following some fine link-up play.


The Reds also used all three of their substitutions in the first-half after losing both AJ Greaves and Tiago Nassunculo to injury before replacing Asa Charlton in a tactical switch.


Matt Clarke’s side improved after the break and were rewarded on 69 minutes when a floated cross into the box was turned home by a combination of Luke Cox and Digie – the latter eventually being credited with the final touch.


Redditch spurned a golden chance to equalise when Digie caught a Nuneaton defender in possession before racing through on goal only to shoot straight at Borough keeper Tony Breeden when one-on-one.


Breeden was called into action again moments later when he pushed away Luke Rowe’s free-kick after the midfielder’s cross had evaded everybody in the Nuneaton box.


The game was set-up for a grandstand finish when Daly was dismissed for the final 10 minutes after he reacted angrily to a challenge by Reds defender Lewis Hudson.


And Redditch almost found an equaliser when Dan Sweeney’s powerful effort hit the post only for the flag to go up for offside.


With United piling bodies forward – Borough sealed the points in injury-time when King drilled an effort into the bottom left corner from outside of the penalty area.


Redditch are next in action against Stourbridge on Saturday, October 30 in the FA Trophy with kick-off at 3pm at the Trico Stadium.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.


Now, every week, you can also listen to a roundup of Redditch Standard Local News.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.